Top 6 February Reads for Assisted Living Residents
Being in assisted living can be a huge adjustment especially if it’s their first time moving out of the house. It can also be isolating and lonely for them. So, it’s important to find activities that will help residents feel more comfortable and enjoy their time in assisted living.
Reading is one of the best activities because it doesn’t only help pass the time, but it’s good for memory.
The benefits of reading in assisted living
Reading has a lot of benefits for residents in assisted living including:
Reading is entertaining.
- Most seniors don’t enjoy watching TV for a long time. They can easily spend hours reading a good book and exploring a new world.
It’s a Great Brain Exercise.
- Reading forces the brain to remember characters and plots to understand the book better. So, it’s a great way to exercise the brain and enhance one’s memory.
Reading improves focus and concentration.
- A lot of seniors find it hard to focus when adjusting to their new environment in assisted living. Reading can help solve that problem by allowing them to just take their time in concentrating on the book that they like.
The top 6 books for February
If you’re planning to give a loved one in assisted living some books for this month, here are our top recommendations:
Spare by Prince Harry.
- For the first time, Prince Harry tells the story of his life from his point of view starting as a young boy losing his mother and growing up to find the love of his life, Meghan Markle.
Forever, interrupted by Taylor Jenkins Reid.
- A riveting story of a girl who met the love of her life only to lose her over an accident, this book takes you on a journey of love, grief, and healing between Elsie and her boyfriend’s mother Susan.
The Family Game by Catherine Steadman.
- From the New York Times bestselling author, this psychological thriller tells the story of a novelist and her husband-to-be’s seemingly perfect life until a tape disrupts everything.
The Golden Couple by Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen.
- This bestselling author duo wows again with their newest book which tells the story of a wealthy couple and the infidelity that changes everything in their lives.
I Have Some Questions for You by Rebecca Makkai.
- This must-read book is named the most anticipated book of 2023, so it’s a great read for your loved one in assisted living.
The Unfortunates by J.K. Chukwu.
- This book tells the story of a queer black college sophomore who made it a mission to learn more about “The Unfortunates,” a group of Black undergrads who mysteriously died in her college.
What are you waiting for? Give the gift of reading to your loved one in assisted living with these highly recommended books.
Looking for excellent assisted living care in Nebraska? Click here to explore Richmont Senior Living.
Richmont Senior Living is proud to serve Ashland, NE and the surrounding cities: Memphis, Springfield, South Bend, Greenwood, Murdock, Waverly, Murdock, Ithaca, and Chalco