The holiday season is coming fast. Those with family in memory assisted living Ashland NE need to prepare for this busy time of the year. From making sure they are ready for the cold weather to preparing your facility for family visits, here are some tips that will surely come in handy during the holiday season:
Preparing residents in memory assisted living Ashland NE
Invest in good shoes.
- Seniors in memory assisted living Ashland NE are prone to slips and falls during winter because of the slippery ground. It’s a must to invest in shoes with good traction to keep them from slipping.
Find the best winter clothes.
- Being older, residents in memory assisted living need to keep themselves warm during the winter months. Therefore, you need to prepare your wardrobe for the cold by making sure they have clothes to layer on, especially when going outside. This includes sweaters, coats, hats, scarves, and socks.
Inspect their rooms.
- You can’t wait for winter before checking if your facility’s heating system works. Make sure that you schedule a maintenance check early, so repairs can be done to ensure that residents are comfortable. This is also a good time to check if your carbon monoxide detector is working properly.
Preparing family members for holiday visits
Update family members on the resident’s condition.
- Since family members don’t get to see their loved ones in memory assisted living Ashland NE often, you need to let them know what to expect before their visit. This will give them time to prepare themselves for the resident’s current health condition, especially if there have been significant changes like weight loss or gain, more dependence on the wheelchair, and progressive memory loss.
Let family members know of visitation schedules.
- You can expect an influx of family members visiting the facility during the holiday season, so you need to plan your schedules accordingly to avoid overcrowding and protect the residents. Receiving many visitors at once can be overwhelming for some residents. So, make sure that families know of visitation schedules and how they can book an appointment with your facility.
Remind family members of the dos and don’ts.
- Since your primary goal is to protect the welfare of residents in memory assisted living Ashland NE, you need to remind family members of your house rules. This includes what food and drinks residents can and cannot consume, the types of gifts they need to avoid and the activities that they are allowed to do during family visits.
When it comes to preparing for the holiday season in assisted living facilities, early preparation will help you get a head start, so you don’t find yourself being caught in the holiday rush.
Looking for excellent care in assisted living? Click here to discover Richmont Senior Living!
Richmont Senior Living is proud to serve Ashland, NE and the surrounding cities: Memphis, Springfield, South Bend, Greenwood, Murdock, Waverly, Murdock, Ithaca, and Chalco